Fault VDS - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

picked the s1k up from the dealer yesterday, and they said it was just a bad sensor. They had no idea why it would've gone bad. i asked him about reverting to the cap and reflashing it for no sensor. He said it was a different kind of computer, which didn't seem right to me.

does anyone know on the cap that was original, was it literally just a cover for the connector, or did it have a couple contacts in there to short out the connection and show an always "ok" signal?

if this works well, fine, but if i have another one eat her pigs on me, i'll probably be looking for a way to short it. you'd sure think all it takes is finding the NC/NO states at which contacts and mimicking them...

Axe, author of "Bouncing off Guardrails"
www.ychrome.com (book, "Sick S1K" S1000 T-shirts, and S1000RR accessory/radar mount)
facebook, youtube
verrucktaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

VDS cannot be retrofitted "off" the bike. It will need it to start from now on, unfortunately.
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

dealer said it was just a bad sensor, no real reason why. unfortunately the jostled my valentine power connector back there loose, so have to redo that.

trying to understand why the computer has to be flashed for that sensor. i believe you, just not sure why. unless the original cap was just a cap. i thought it was a pinned short that produce the signal NO/NC so the computer would think everything was peachy. seems you could read the sensor's resistance across the pins in normal and fault position and make a cap that would mimic it...

if no problems, fine, if it fails again, i may have to get creative.

www.ychrome.com (book, "Sick S1K" S1000 T-shirts, and S1000RR accessory/radar mount)
facebook, youtube
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Original caps were just caps. No pins or bridging inside. The drop sensor was an upgraded option that BMW decided in retrospect to instal as standard (after a few bikes had fallen and hydrolocked ruining con rods and such). The sensor is now integrated within the DTC lean angle sensor.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperclaw View Post
Original caps were just caps. No pins or bridging inside. The drop sensor was an upgraded option that BMW decided in retrospect to instal as standard (after a few bikes had fallen and hydrolocked ruining con rods and such). The sensor is now integrated within the DTC lean angle sensor.
ok, that makes more sense if it was just a cap. They did tell me about the hydrolocking reason for adding it back when i bought it. seems reasonable to have it included in the lean sensor now too. can you even get a new s1k w/o DTC like in 2010, or do they just all have it now? guess if you don't have DTC, you don't have the drop sensor?

facebook, youtube
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

All bikes have ABS as standard (at least in the US).
I believe DTC is still considered an option but I haven't seen a bike without DTC out of probably a hundred that I have prepped (or have seen prepped) since they first came out.

There is still a spot for the drop sensor to be plugged on the new bikes that have it integrated in the angle sensor box. In case the bike doesn't have DTC then it would be plugged in there (in the original location).
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperclaw View Post
All bikes have ABS as standard (at least in the US).
I believe DTC is still considered an option but I haven't seen a bike without DTC out of probably a hundred that I have prepped (or have seen prepped) since they first came out.

There is still a spot for the drop sensor to be plugged on the new bikes that have it integrated in the angle sensor box. In case the bike doesn't have DTC then it would be plugged in there (in the original location).
gotcha. i haven't seen one w/o it either. guess they offer a base model to keep their base price low.

facebook, youtube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement