2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout Part 2: Hitting the Streets - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > BMW S1000RR Forum News

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Default 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout Part 2: Hitting the Streets

A year after entering the hotly contested literbike market, BMW's S1000RR continues to impress us. During the racetrack-only portion of our 2011 Literbike Shootout the BMW über sportbike retained its favorite son status – earned in its debut in the 2010 literbike shootout – when pitted against Kawasaki's all-new for 2011 ZX-10R.

However, it was only after laborious debates and much hair pulling that we gave the S1000RR a narrow victory, its 20-plus horsepower advantage heavily influencing our decision of which bike is the better track-biased weapon.

Recently, we moved this duel to the street – an environment we often hear speculated as the place most purchased sportbikes spend their days. And it's in a street setting the 10R has proved itself a desirable machine despite finishing a close second to the Beemer at the track.

More: 2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. 2011 BMW S1000RR Shootout - Street on Motorcycle.com
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zug

Well I guess that settles it then, the ZX10R is a better street bike, lets all just accept the fact and move on.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to YELLOPER1L

That seems fair enough. The big Ninja seems to be getting some decent reviews on the street, (not from MCN though!). It was developed to compete with the S1k and while it's hugely down on power, they've worked hard to build a great street bike. expect similar responses from the other big 3 Jap factories in 2012 and then BMW in 2012-2013, then Kwak in 2014 and so on.

That being said, you won't find me riding to a Kwak dealer to chop in my S1k! Power, handling, power and looks. Did I mention power?
YELLOPER1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

The only thing that seems weird is to complain about a snatchy throttle in Slick mode during the street part of the test.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to YELLOPER1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
The only thing that seems weird is to complain about a snatchy throttle in Slick mode during the street part of the test.

KeS
True. Doesn't it work as a 1/4 turn throttle when in slick mode? That's going to be a bit abrupt!
YELLOPER1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anyone want a low-mileage 2011 Motorsport in mint condition; cheap?
djhartm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm View Post
Anyone want a low-mileage 2011 Motorsport in mint condition; cheap?
Your cheap or my cheap
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
d40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post

KeS
Maybe they left it in slick mode because it most closely resembled the Ninja's power delivery? ..I quickly read the article, but don't recall them mentioning what mode the Ninja was in or if it was smooth in all three of its maps...either way, they're splitting hairs. The Kawasaki is a great bike, so the press have to give it something, but the double digit horsepower advantage and curb appeal of the BMW is something the Kawasaki can't compete with...I"ll keep mine.
d40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d40 View Post
Maybe they left it in slick mode because it most closely resembled the Ninja's power delivery? ..I quickly read the article, but don't recall them mentioning what mode the Ninja was in or if it was smooth in all three of its maps...either way, they're splitting hairs. The Kawasaki is a great bike, so the press have to give it something, but the double digit horsepower advantage and curb appeal of the BMW is something the Kawasaki can't compete with...I"ll keep mine.
+1
I agree

Reading the review and watching the video. It's like they preferred the 10R because it wasn't as good as the BMW.
they liked it because it was less powerful and not as intimidating as the S1RR.

So that also makes the ZX-6R for instance, a better bike than the S1RR.

2008 BMW 635d Coupe...Diesel burning missile cage
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD....High Plains Drifter
S1RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOPER1L View Post
True. Doesn't it work as a 1/4 turn throttle when in slick mode?
It always works as a 1/4 throttle - changing modes doesn't alter the total angle change from closed to open. Modes affect how much throttle you get at intermediate points.

I don't understand the complaint that the throttle response is too abrupt in race and better in slick either. But then I keep mine in sport most of the time on the street.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement