BMW S1000RR Forum banner

S1000R track conversion

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TapeWormInYourGut 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm new around here, but I was hoping for some advice. I've tried searching for this question, but I cannot find any answers.

I bought a 2015 S1000R a couple years ago and I have realized I am not really into street riding. I race a lot on my other bikes (both road racing and motocross), but I just don't find street riding much fun. So, I am stuck with a very nice bike that almost never gets used (500ish miles a year). I was thinking about trying to set the S1000R up as a new track/race bike.

My question is, if I was to swap the upper triple clamp for one from an RR, install some proper clipons and an RR fairing stay, do you all think I would be able to set up a set of race fairings? (Obviously I'll need a full exhaust too). Would the triple clamp and fairing stay from an RR fit? It looks like the frame and most other parts are the same or compatable. I know I would be giving up some power versus an RR or other proper litre bike, but at least I would end up using the bike. I appreciate insight from anyone who might know the answer to this question. Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Here's a thread where the OP installed HeliBars on an R, if you read through it he says he tried to install an RR top triple but it wouldn't fit. Maybe you can contact him and get more details. https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,5500.0.html

As far as the fairing stay and RR fairings, I would wonder about the wiring having enough slack to move the instruments, and also to lower the switchgear for clipons. Definitely worth some effort, you'd probably take a bath on a trade.

#3 ·
Thanks. I sent a message to the OP on that thread. I'm hoping it's just the lights that caused the fitment issues, obviously I'd be ditching those.

You're right though, the trade-in value on the S1R sucks. Most dealers around here won't even take it in on trade, they think it's unsellable. BMW offered me $8k for it. I really would like the new R6, bit after taking a huge bath on the BMW and paying $12k for the Yamaha, I would still need to drop another $2k to race prep the it. Too rich for me right now.

#5 ·
At this point, I would look into trading it in or selling, and just getting an RR, or another track bike as mentioned above.

I am not sure what you are willing to spend on a conversion, but for just 1-2k you can probably trade it in for a used RR, and be happy out of the box with no work needed. Seems like a bigger task to try an convert it vs. just getting what you want. Maybe you have your reasons though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.