BMW S1000RR Forum banner

How do I find out if my HP4 has a race ECU?

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 ·
Is there a quick way to discern between a regular HP4 ECU and the Race Kit ECU? I've been reading through a bunch of threads and it's not clear to me. I though they came with different ECU's but I'm not so sure anymore.

I bought the bike used. It has the slick stick installed, but I don't know if the ECU has been changed or not.

#2 ·
The HP4 comes with a standard ECU. There is no visible difference. When I had my "race" ecu installed the tech put an HP sticker on it so he could tell the difference. Only a BMW computer can tell you unless the seller provided receipts showing purchase and dealer install. Chances are you have the standard ECU. If you have the stock mid pipe with a cat, you definitely have a stock ecu unless the seller was a complete moron. The bike runs way too rich with the race ecu and a stock pipe on a dyno. Stock ecu produced more power with the cat.

#4 ·
If you are in the US so shipping is not too bad... you can send the ECU to me and I can tell you if it is a Race ECU. I now have all the code for HP Power Kit, RCK2, Ti Exhaust on the BMSKP ECU's, which would cover HP4 12-14.

Reactions: Armando Marini
#6 · (Edited)
If it's a genuine BMW HP Race ECU you can immeditaly see it:
If you can adjust DTC in any mode like rain, sport, race and slick then it is installed - nothing more nothing less is needed to find that out :nerd:
If you can adjust DTC in slick mode only then you have the OEM ECU in your HP4.
No need to send it to anyone :surprise:

#12 ·
Standard s1000rr 2014 and earlier models need both the Race ECU plus the unlock code.

If the HP4 comes with a locked Race ECU, then it would only need the unlock code. You can scour the internet and you won't find an answer on whether the HP4 ECU is just a remapped stock ECU, or actually a locked Race ECU. You are better off calling a dealer.

If you are serious then you should also consider ECU flashes by someone like Brentuning. Might be cheaper and offer what you are looking for. Will def be tuned better.

#14 · (Edited)
I think people are getting hung up on terminology. When you purchase a "race" ECU, what you receive from BMW is a blank ECU, the very same part number as the one that came on your bike from the factory. There is no code loaded. You then purchase an unlock code from BMW.

Step 1. Install blank ECU on your bike.
Step 2. Trailer or push your bike to the dealer, because it will no longer run :)
Step 3. The dealer hooks your bike up to the mother ship (BMW Germany).
Step 4. The dealer gives the mother ship your unlock code.

WARNING: If the time between the purchase date of the unlock code and the date you hook up to the mother ship is greater than 30 days, the code is no longer valid and you will have to purchase another code. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I paid approximately $950 for a blank ECU, and approximately $1050 for my unlock code. This was for my 2012 model. Also, the dealer was unaware that the unlock code expires after 30 days.

Step 5. The mother ship loads computer code on to your blank ECU.
Step 6. Place the tiny "HP" sticker on the ECU, so it can be identified by the techs next time they have the bike in the shop. Mine was missing, so I had to purchase another for about $3.50

You now have a "Race" ECU.

Before doing any of the above steps, you have to sign a waiver from BMW that voids your warranty. This signed waiver is needed to even order the ECU and unlock code. It is VIN specific.

#15 ·
Someone posted some time back that the reason that you can't just install the "Race" code onto your existing ECU has to do with EPA regulations. I don't know if that's true or not. I think beginning with the 2015 model year, you are able to buy just the unlock code, and turn your stock ECU into a race ECU. I don't have any exposure to the 2015's and newer bikes, so I'm just repeating what I've read about these newer models.

#26 ·
At this time regulus either can be done. Ordered via the vin through BMW online system. Then it can be downloaded from the net into ISTA and loaded onto the bike. It can also be put on a USB and loaded into the bike via ISTA. The time frame thing I am unaware of and I am not arguing that fact. Just sharing my experiences also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.