A Mistake that will haunt me for a while - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

A Mistake that will haunt me for a while

It seemed to be a good idea at the time.
I convinced myself after 17 years of riding, I deserve the pedigree.
I told myself the number of 8000 units is nothing to hang on to.

Boy, am I wrong!

I recently traded my HP4 for the Ducati Panigale 1299s Anniversario. The special paints theme, the 500 units allocation, the dealer priced it at MSRP, who could have said no, right? Hindsight, I should have. I quickly realized how huge of a mistake this was. Ducati, while it's name crowned the motorcycle industry, offered me no satisfactions. My 50 miles ride home, was miserable. Ducati shakes, bakes, rumbles, but all was done without the refinement of the HP4. The L-Twin engine drops revs quicker than the Titanic hitting an ice burg, while HP4 just hanged on the revs, even throttle is closed. Ergo on the Duc is rather punishing, It's skinny, the seat was a cardboard, and the mirrors don't fold,,, the list goes on and on.

I miss the smoothness of the HP4, where it revs to the sky with a ballistic velocity, while the Duc stops at 11.5. While it carries the speed just as well, but once again less satisfying.

Adding insult to injury, wife and daughter came home, wife was excited about the purchase, but meanwhile she didn't see the Duc until it's actually home. Her heart dropped and plainly told me that the Duc is not half as good looking as the HP4. My daughter actually was mad at me because I took her blue princess away and refused to name the Duc.

Sorry about the rant, I just want to put it here. For those of you with a HP4, hang on to it. It's a special machine. It does everything well. Don't let others tell you otherwise.

End Rant.

Ps: There is an used (4600 miles)HP4 std at Mancuso Motorsport Southwest in Houston if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panigale mine.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	158874  
Luker669, sro, Mk4UmHa and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Yep. Not even a comparison. Argricultural farm equipment is what they are.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:10 PM

I feel for you, my friend. We all go through life occasionally mistaking form for substance. Don't fret for another minute. Get back on a RR as fast as you can and forget what was a mistake any single one of us could have made. You're OK...and are now wiser than many.
Mk4UmHa, bennymx and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 PM

I wonder if you'll change your mind after tracking the ducati. Genuinely curious.
bennymx likes this.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Many have said the Pani and R1 are track focused. Thus the BMW being the choice for the street.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:39 PM

2 options now... put it up for sale. You can probably find some sucker to give you what you paid or close to it. The other option would be try to adapt. - 1 tooth on the countershaft, Termignoni exhaust and the fuel map to go with it. Have a suspension guy give you a basic setup. You may learn to love it, the wife and daughter may come around but that is a coin toss.

The reason I've never considered Ducati is because Stoner is still the only guy that can ride one. Sure Iannone and Dovi are occasionally fast... but when your test rider continuously turns faster times, something is wrong. Ducati's aren't ridden by local winning club racers in Nor Cal either. Something to ponder...

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Garage
I have nothing against Ducati but Duc owners expect other riders to do the "ooo's" and "ahhh's" where ever they stop.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:43 PM

great review, it makes me feel good about the '15 premium I got. I signed up at ducati forum hunting for info 4 months ago, looking for a deal. the more time I spent on that forum, the more it was convincing not to get a 1299S. I guess all bikes have their issues, but the complaints on the 1299S were out there, from engine to electronic failure. Even few guys on 1299 agree that the 1199/1299 is a prone to trouble, and that owner needs to piece with it as it comes with the good looks and the name brand. When it came down to reliability and performance, s1000rr all the way. Also, the price on that exhaust for the 1299, ranges from $3-5K, crazy. But, looks of the Duc are just irresistible. Writing this post, I still think that 1299 just looks better. At the end, I am glad I picked the S1Krr. It has all the electronics that the 1299 offers, I couldn't be happier.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:15 PM

Can't beat BMW Engineering precision! With that said, I've owned a few Ducati's; I got sucked in before as well...I feel your pain!

I loved the Multi, Monster, and Hyper though...was never a fan of the Sport bikes.

Ken Moto
Currently: 2016 BMW S1000RR & 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Past: 15 FXDB/14 S1KRR/14 HYM SP/13 MTS 1200ST/12 HYM SP/08 1098S/11 VRSCDX/12 CBR1KRR/05 CBR1KRR Repsol/03 Monster 1000/02 Monster S4/04 CBR1KRR/01 Monster 900Sie/97 GSXR600
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 01:51 AM

The Panigale Anniversario looked too good in Google Images, although not so sure about the picture posted by O.P.

Hope you get a good deal on your Pani and get back on the Beemer ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode