The first 200 miles! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hex

Default The first 200 miles!

I am really amazed. First off, I have been riding hyper-bikes since 1975 and this motorcycle is unlike anything I have ever, I mean ever, ridden. I am actually having a hard time knowing where to start. I'll start with the suspension. It is very close to indescribable. It is seemless, supremely capable and spot on an incredible amount of the time. And, let me add, I have not even begun to fiddle with it. The bike turns so well that it feels like it is channeling you into the perfect line. It is a revelation. The phenomenal adaptability and supreme forgivness make it unlike any other sport bike out there. The bike is rock solid in a straight line and confidence inspiring, and yet it will go where ever you want it to effortlessly. Wattsy rules said it well when he said he started looking for bumps and imperfections in the road to see what the bike could do. Initially, do to habit, I didin't do this but after about 100 miles I started too and the bikes' ability to remove road imperfections is astonishing. Even mid corner chassis destabilizers are no match for the HP 4. It is really other worldly. This motorcycle is truly ground breaking and the future is here now. This is a very large leap forward in the sense that this motorcycle makes its rider a better rider. Period. Yeah other bikes these days do this as well but not on this level. I don't think it will matter whether you are a pro or a novice as this bike supports the rider's efforts like no other. I was talking to a BMW factory rider at the IMS show this week and he told me that this is the case but I was convinced more by my time in the saddle, rather than by his words, that what he said is true. Everyone knows what a great engine the S1000RR has but this version is also on a very elevated level. For those who think they need a different exhaust or to decat the midpipe I will say forget it. The factory rider also told me to leave it alone and once again from what I feel in my early experiences with the bike he is right. I am breaking it in according to the manual and let me tell you it is coming more and more alive with each passing mile. So much so as to make me giddy with anticipation as to what this baby will feel like when she is broken in and ripping. The bike starts seeking the sky in 3rd gear with easy roll ons around 5k rpms as the midrange improvements enhance the performance. I am backing off immediately to keep the revs down to factory suggested levels but the potentcy is readily apparent anyway. I will weigh in on a bunch of other stuff later like the stellar, perfectly weighted brakes and the riding posiiton which is by far one of the most comfortable on any superbike ever. For now, I want to compose my thoughts as my head is swirling from the thrill of riding this magical bike and I am left wishing that the sun stayed up a bit longer today. Oh and did I mention that she is absolutely friggin gorgeous and that quite a few other riders I saw in the canyons today couldn't stop drolling.

Last edited by Hex; 12-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great report!
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hex, I started to tear up reading your ride report!!

Awesome.
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have 350miles on mine now and could not agree more!

I have not dialed in anything, just riding stock settings(other than I adjusted the rearsets, and wow!!!

I've had at least 20 diff sportbikes and NONE out of the box were anything close to this!

Awesome brakes- front are amazing - especially with a suspension that reacts to the braking, by firming up the forks-

Motor- I swear this thing is way quicker than my 14! The only place my 14 feels more powerful is right at the bottom of the rpm- when easily starting off . Other than that the HP4 IS awesome!

Comfort too... No issues. Not a road couch like a 14, but after a 200 mile ride I was fine...

It's an amazing bike and can't wait the get sag properly set.
For now I have 0 plans and changing the exhaust.

Only mod I did was to dump the license plate bracket and put an integrated tail light..
That cleaned up the look.

Wait till u guys get yours!
I'm sure u will agree!
Twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
I have 350miles on mine now and could not agree more!

I have not dialed in anything, just riding stock settings(other than I adjusted the rearsets, and wow!!!

I've had at least 20 diff sportbikes and NONE out of the box were anything close to this!

Awesome brakes- front are amazing - especially with a suspension that reacts to the braking, by firming up the forks-

Motor- I swear this thing is way quicker than my 14! The only place my 14 feels more powerful is right at the bottom of the rpm- when easily starting off . Other than that the HP4 IS awesome!

Comfort too... No issues. Not a road couch like a 14, but after a 200 mile ride I was fine...

It's an amazing bike and can't wait the get sag properly set.
For now I have 0 plans and changing the exhaust.

Only mod I did was to dump the license plate bracket and put an integrated tail light..

Wait till u guys get yours!
I'm sure u will agree!
Where are the pics of your fender eliminator? Yosh??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2013 BMW HP4 #0162
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS
2005 HONDA CR125
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (for sale)
Fbto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I love my new hp4 so far only 2 things I don't like vibration on the handle bar and foot pegs, the seat seems to push me forward crushing my nutz,lol
Jimmyc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
With no LED indicators out of the box, I'd like to get integrated tail light as well..did you get a smoked one? was it easy to install? pics?
Kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc. View Post
I love my new hp4 so far only 2 things I don't like vibration on the handle bar and foot pegs, the seat seems to push me forward crushing my nutz,lol
Yup, did that with the sliding forward!! Those damn brakes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2013 BMW HP4 #0162
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS
2005 HONDA CR125
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (for sale)
Fbto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

260 miles on mine. Agree on the bumps but what people should realize is that it's still a sportbike when reading it. At an 80mph cruise it feels very similar to a CBR1100XX with race tech work on it, which is to say it feels great but it's still not a Goldwing either. I did dial down the front suspension to -1 and it feels more balanced with the rear at a 0/0 setting.
I have a lot of small things coming in (mainly for protection) and will post pics in another thread when that comes along.
Having ridden a 2010 S1K during its break-in, I can say there is substantially more midrange in the HP4.
the head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc. View Post
I would re check the front wheel waights .. there should be 0 vibration on the front end..

As far as the Gilles rear sets.. only one flaw.. a 1000 wrong ways to set them and only one right

enjoy..
2010BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement