Alarm question. - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Alarm question.

How exactly does the anti theft alarm work? Is it simply the passive alarm built into the key fob? Sorry for the silly question but this is my first BMW motorcycle.
9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

If the bike tips or rolls, if someone tries to start it with an unauthorized key or if someone disconnects the battery without disarming it ithe alarm will go off. There is an instuction manual 10 page instruction manual that should come with it.
Joshua1796 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

If someone picks it up and carries it away it makes a loud sound that most people block their ears and ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2013 BMW HP4 #0162 (STOLEN JUNE 17, 2014!!!)
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS (For Sale! )
2005 HONDA CR125 (Sold)
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (For Sale!)
Fbto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got it. So there's no "button" to press to arm or disarm then? It's simply activated/deactivated with the key/ignition?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Got it. So there's no "button" to press to arm or disarm then? It's simply activated/deactivated with the key/ignition?
If you're talking about the bmw factory alarm it can be a little tricky. There are multiple ways to set it up to your preference. The way mine came from the factory was such that you do have to press the key fob for activation. After an hour of activation you can't just press deactivate though. You have to turn the bike on with the key which deactivates it. Also, if you park your bike and wait longer than three minutes before activating the alarm, you have to turn the bike on and off again before you can activate with key fob. You CAN set it up so that it's activated simply by removing the key form ignition. I chose not to for instances such as filling up gas. I didn't want to have to deal with disarming and alarming just for that. But it's all in the manual. There are more advanced settings only the dealer can access for you such as how many days the red alarm light will blink on your dash. It goes up to 10 days I believe. I chose 3 so as to not drain the battery. Ask your dealer for help.

Sound complicated? Sort of is, but I got used to it. Now it's no problem

Last edited by HULK; 12-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you all get alarms with your HP4s?

Mine doesn't have an alarm function on the key fob.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Alarm???

Just trailered my 2011 home.
only have 4500KMs on it beautiful.

i have contacted BMW about how to alarm the system but they told me i would have to buy the manual.....ARGH

does any one have it on a PDF?

Thanks in advance.
phils1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phils1000rr View Post
Just trailered my 2011 home.
only have 4500KMs on it beautiful.

i have contacted BMW about how to alarm the system but they told me i would have to buy the manual.....ARGH

does any one have it on a PDF?

Thanks in advance.
You need to take it to a dealer and have them hook it up to their machine so they can see what settings are currently there and change them to the way you want them. Certain things you can't change just with the key fob. Maybe you can change them with a gs911 I have no idea. In other words, buying the manual won't help you change certain things so you might as well take it to a bmw shop. They can also explain to you what you CAN do with the key fob which is pretty much all in my post above^^^^

Good luck
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did you pay for the alarm option? If not, you likely don't have it. My HP4 did not come with an alarm.

There is a transponder in all BMW motorcycle key fobs that is read by a ring in the ignition, which is good enough for me. The motorcycle won't start without that radio frequency connection being made.

2013 HP4
2008 R1200R
jkhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhomes View Post
Did you pay for the alarm option? If not, you likely don't have it. My HP4 did not come with an alarm.

There is a transponder in all BMW motorcycle key fobs that is read by a ring in the ignition, which is good enough for me. The motorcycle won't start without that radio frequency connection being made.
Correction.. the S1000's 2009-2013 including the HP4 are not fob keys.
With the bike you get 2 OE metal laser cut keys and one "wallet" laser cut plastic key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement