Hp4 power topped? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinclair View Post
where in the technical data does it show that they changed cam timing to increase tq.? i have read about every article on it and it states tq. was increased in the mid range but never says why. i would think the addition of the akkro exhaust caused this bump not cam timing. even though cam timing is quite retarded on the bike i doubt bmw changed it.
I should have said - IF cam timing was changed... I agree . I've only read about exhaust also.
Twisted1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

I would pay to see real Dino charts on hp4 compared to RR
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

I plan on breaking in my bike at Brock's Performance on his dino.
M GmbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GmbH View Post
I plan on breaking in my bike at Brock's Performance on his dino.
you know brock wont allow that unless you change the exhaust afterwords!
bsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinclair View Post
where in the technical data does it show that they changed cam timing to increase tq.? i have read about every article on it and it states tq. was increased in the mid range but never says why. i would think the addition of the akkro exhaust caused this bump not cam timing. even though cam timing is quite retarded on the bike i doubt bmw changed it.
"Revisions include altered cam timing, compression and combustion chambers, plus, on the limited-edition HP4, an exhaust system made entirely of titanium with a “controlled acoustic valve” to boost low-end and midrange torque (all riders—touring, sportbike and racers—benefit from stronger bottom end and midrange)."

BMW HP4 Tech Updates- Features- DDC- DTC

If I can figure out how to upload the BMW press pdf, it's the most complete description of the development and engineering differences r.e. S1K/HP4.

While I agree with the poster who pointed out it's not a completely new design, it's clearly much more than "suspension, carbon and lighter wheels".

Cheers!

-Mike
michaelnewmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnewmex View Post
"Revisions include altered cam timing, compression and combustion chambers, plus, on the limited-edition HP4, an exhaust system made entirely of titanium with a “controlled acoustic valve” to boost low-end and midrange torque (all riders—touring, sportbike and racers—benefit from stronger bottom end and midrange)."

BMW HP4 Tech Updates- Features- DDC- DTC

If I can figure out how to upload the BMW press pdf, it's the most complete description of the development and engineering differences r.e. S1K/HP4.

While I agree with the poster who pointed out it's not a completely new design, it's clearly much more than "suspension, carbon and lighter wheels".

Cheers!

-Mike
+1

I'm told that, while the power ouput is essentially the same, the power delivery has been developed by the BMW race team in Germany over the last 3 years. Power has been mapped to allow the rider to control the bike more easily and still deliver a bucket load of power to the ground.

If you think back to the WSBK bikes even at the start of 2011, the bike was plenty powerful enough, however, the power delivery was so vicious Corsa was destroying his tyres in the first half of the race. What they've worked on is smoothing out the power so the delivery is consitent and predicatable.

I've read a few articles where the journalists has said the HP4 power is so predictable it could be safely ridden by a beginner rider. Troy Corsa has also said on camera that the bike is so fast it could have won WSBK races 5 years ago. Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx7-lT7tSh8 go to 4:05. Troy says the HP4 is what a Superbike was 4-5 years ago.

This is not an upgraded S1RR. It was designed from scratch as a one off superbike copy using the S1RR platform. Having ridden one a few times I can tell you the power delivery is completely different than my 2011 S1RR. Even just revving the bike in neutral it feels different.

Last edited by wattsy_rules; 11-30-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added the quote
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #27 (permalink)

What about this??

http://eurocyclesoftampabay.com/2013...p4-first-ride/

In particular::

9. Stage 1, 2 and 3 race kits: So, you want to go racing? BMW offers three track-only levels of performance for the HP4 that are likely the best bang for your buck for aftermarket parts and support. All stages offer an increase in horsepower—201, 205 (AMA Pro SuperBike) and 212 (World Superbike)—along with the ability to fine-tune DDC, DTC, ABS, Launch Control and engine management corner-by-corner on the track. That should be enough to make your head spin! Good thing you also get access to BMW’s race-support staff to help with setup.
2013 BMW HP4 #0162 (STOLEN JUNE 17, 2014!!!)
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS (For Sale! )
2005 HONDA CR125 (Sold)
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (For Sale!)
Fbto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbto View Post
What about this??

2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 First Ride - Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay

In particular::

9. Stage 1, 2 and 3 race kits: So, you want to go racing? BMW offers three track-only levels of performance for the HP4 that are likely the best bang for your buck for aftermarket parts and support. All stages offer an increase in horsepower—201, 205 (AMA Pro SuperBike) and 212 (World Superbike)—along with the ability to fine-tune DDC, DTC, ABS, Launch Control and engine management corner-by-corner on the track. That should be enough to make your head spin! Good thing you also get access to BMW’s race-support staff to help with setup.

Who said the HP4 was just an fancy S1RR?
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules View Post
This is not an upgraded S1RR. It was designed from scratch as a one off superbike copy using the S1RR platform.
I really wish I was getting an HP4....definitely envious of you guys! However, it absolutely is an upgraded s1k......that is quite obvious. The only thing on the HP4 you couldn't instantly go out and buy for your s1k right now is the DDC and Launch control, which I suspect will be the norm for s1k's in a couple years

Not knockin the HP, but c'mon now. The bikes have far more things in common than things they don't.
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

I wonder if guys trying to race these are gonna need the basic $2500 in suspension upgrades to run up front?

I'd imagine so.

So HP4 + suspension + 520 set up + bodywork and a few other odds and ends = $30k race bike. Win it or bin it! LOL

See you guys at Starbucks.. and on the message boards.

Last edited by bdill35; 11-30-2012 at 09:32 PM.
bdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement