HP4 Arriving 2wks! - Page 6 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
If I have a BMW HP, I am definitely not putting another company's carbon on my baby, HP for me!

I could see on a s1krr but if your already paying out the ass for a HP, get HP parts
I pretty much agree although Ilmberger makes the nicest street CF you'll see anywhere and I suspect they probably manufacture the HP carbon for BMW. I know they do the OEM carbon for other manufacturers.

I don't get these guys talking about going with cheap ass knock off crap for these bikes...but then, a lot of people buy plastic "chrome". What do I know? LOL!
michaelnewmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
If I have a BMW HP, I am definitely not putting another company's carbon on my baby, HP for me!

I could see on a s1krr but if your already paying out the ass for a HP, get HP parts
I am still a bit tight ass even i am getting a hp4 Lol.
I get hp4 base over the standard 1krr was because of all the upgrade. And i believe they are well worth the price. (5K for DDC, light wheel, larger rear tyre, my favorite paint color, revised eletronics)

But another 5k for cosmetic upgrade....i cant justify it.

Guess i just paint my wheel and thats it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jskit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #53 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnewmex View Post
I pretty much agree although Ilmberger makes the nicest street CF you'll see anywhere and I suspect they probably manufacture the HP carbon for BMW. I know they do the OEM carbon for other manufacturers.
That's the word on the street...
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #54 (permalink)

Just purchased my HP4 Standard....both the Standard & Comp are beautiful. Dealer wasn't sure if he was getting anymore Comp, so I went with the Std and will paint the wheels.

Can't wait for this winter to go away!!!
ZeeBBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #55 (permalink)

Any pics of your HP4? I ordered the competition model.......lol!
jonwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #56 (permalink)

[QUOTE=wattsy_rules;168559]I'm good friends with a few of the senior managers of motorad Australia. I got a call Saturday saying they were running in 3 HP4's that were going to be used for a media launch and did I want to come for a ride. I don't work for BMW in any form at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
How much do you guys end up spending on this bike down there?[/QUOTE]

The standard HP4 retails at $28k and the HP4 Comp for $32. The Comp version is about $10k more than an S1RR. To put it into perspective, a Panagale S sells for $36k in Aus.

Kismet...sorry mate but your bike is nothing like the HP4 even with the pipe and PCV. Without me dick waving telling you how many versions of S1RR's I've ridden, I'll refer to the conversation I had on the weekend with the guys from motorad. The HP4 has been independently developed by the German BMW superbike race team. They created the upgraded engine maps, TC, ABS and chassis improvement over a 3 year period for their race bikes. These were also in collaboration with the WSBK team.

As good as your bike may be, it's not an HP4. Btw, Glen Allerton (Google him) has bought one of these and every time I talk to him he's like a 10 yo a day before Christmas. Given Glen is the reigning Australian Superbike Champion, I listen to his opinion. One of the things he showed me was the engine braking settings the HP4 has. It has 7 settings which regulates the slipper clutch to allow engine braking. He tells me this is better than the bike he rode to win the ASBK.

I know you've done heaps of work to your bike but the HP4 has been developed as an independant superbike in the BMW range. I am told that they will not be building any more after the current batch have sold.
MCN's UK racer did NOT give the same glowing report, so who do you believe?

He said the suspension was NOT up to Ohlins specs, and the cast monobloc brakes faded for a while!
bmwian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwian View Post
He said the suspension was NOT up to Ohlins specs, and the cast monobloc brakes faded for a while!
Generally I trust the first hand forum member accounts but on this I'll lean more towardsa a balance. Ohlins set up for exactly the terrain you're about to encounter will likely work better but you'd have to know exactly what you're about to encounter which doesn't happen on the street. So for all around riding the DDC is ideal and will adapt better for street riding and still be amazing on the track. I believe however that this sentiment has previously been expressed.

Last edited by QuikSanD; 12-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
QuikSanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

[QUOTE=bmwian;171717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules View Post
I'm good friends with a few of the senior managers of motorad Australia. I got a call Saturday saying they were running in 3 HP4's that were going to be used for a media launch and did I want to come for a ride. I don't work for BMW in any form at all.

This is pretty much in line with the same review I read from Road Racing World magazine from Chris Ulrich
Scblacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #59 (permalink)

I think Troy Corsa said it best when interviewed about the HP4. He said that when he first started riding the HP4 he didn't quite understand how the DDC worked and wasn't really sure. As he's been riding it more, he's starting to understand it better and is much closer to feeling comfortable on it. Given he's one of the best WSBK riders I'd suggest that he's probably a little more qualified than any Journalist to talk about the effectiveness of the DDC. Ie, this technology is new and will take some time before people get it. Perhaps the first iteration is not race ready.

Anyone who thinks that the suspension set up for high level racing is kidding themselves. However, anyone who wants to do track days and then ride home and have suspension that will feel equally at home will be pleasantly surprised.

I have Ohlins front/rear, damper and a 28mm Triple on my 2011 S1RR. The suspension has been tuned by Stewy Winton who is a suspension tuner who works for one of the ASBK Works teams and has tightened it up for Philip Island and recently Eastern Creek. Both tracks that have seen World MotoGP races and I can tell you that the settings for track riding are MUCH tighter than road riding. (Hes put a 1.1 and 1.05 spring in the forks)

ANYONE who says, "I've had my Ohlins tuned for the race track and it feels so smooth on open roads" is FULL OF SH!T!! Fast track riding requires much tighter set up given the level of harsh braking entering a corner and then the massive acceleration out of corners required for quick times on the track. Also, if you want to see the difference between track and road riding watch the Isle of Man TT...Their suspension moves dramatically more than any track set up. These boys are freaky fast riders on road circuits.

Road riding requires much softer set up to handle the plethora of different corners and road conditions. The HP4 handles the track and THEN the road without having to change one setting. IE, set your SAG and then ride!

Anyone who wants to race, well, maybe the HP4 is not for you...Go buy a second hand S1RR. Replace the ECU, the suspension, the fairings, the tyres, the wiring loop, the rearsets etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Last edited by wattsy_rules; 12-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #60 (permalink)

Well said wattsy, as i have read through more reviews regarding the DDC, i also keep on thinking that hp4 will be one of the most practical road plus track machine.

Congtraz to all our hp4 brother:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jskit is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement