HP4 vs Panigale S - Page 6 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Yeah, I had the 1198s. Fueling was crap. Replaced the exhaust and ECU. Clutch pull was hard as hell....replaced the slave cylander. No slipper clutch....replaced that. Plastic gas tank that warped with ethanol...replaced that. Leaking radiator....replaced that. Leaking oil from every joint you can think of. Ate batteries even when on a tender.

Geez now that I look back it sounds awful. I really did like that bike though. Uncomforatable as hell as well....lol. I still miss it. It was like my little project bike. Still, a total rip off for what you get (or don't get). I would never have one as a sole ride though...too unpredictable.
. All of the above....hehehe
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #52 (permalink)

Wattsy rules, no problems, it is actually great to see BMW owners getting so passionate, I think that's great.

You could go back and forth forever, which is why I kept mine. Both have their own character.

Back on topic, it will be fun seeing the Hp4 and 1199R comparisons, and lets not forget the Aprilia and new F4.
BMWSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #53 (permalink)

Default IMO

I walked into my Ducati dealership, I have a MTS1200S for daily riding, and saw the 1199. My god it was gorgeous. I walked over to it and a weird thing happened.

It kept getting smaller and smaller. By the time I was standing next to it I was pretty sure it was smaller than my moped I use to go to the beach and beat the parking hassles. Nearly as narrow too. Freaking tiny.

Now I am only 6'3" and about 225 but just sitting on the 1199 for a few minutes made me start to wince. It would have to be perfect dynamically to make up for that.

From what I heard it is now weak in all the places that used to make Ducati bikes so fun to ride. I know my Multi12 with full Termi's is faster than my S1K on any normal mountain road without a ton of high speed stuff. That torque is just stunning. I hear it's gone on the 1199, or at least moved to a place where it's not fun to use or easy to get to anymore.

That kind of ended it for me. Of course there is an 1199R out now to confuse things more. That said, my last issue of MCN had in the back the biggest recall section I had ever seen, and it was all for the 1199. Some serious things too like bolts holding the rear shock on falling off and stuff.

Really expensive plus really unreliable plus no more fun as hell low end torque. Means I walked right back away from it.
Jaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #54 (permalink)

That is just not right, it is still a 1200 twin, and feels it, although yes the power has moved up about 1000 revs. Don't forget you get 4 engine maps and more adjustability than anything including electronic suspension, it takes some time but I have 4 great settings I can scroll through on the fly.
Also most guys get the Termi pipes which comes with a new map, and that cleans up that hole that the standard pipe with a flapper valve has to get through noise regulations. Remember these bikes are very loud.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #55 (permalink)

Syd...how come you get to have two of the hottest bikes around?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #56 (permalink)

Because I am a sport bike nut, and a chronic early adopter.

Seriously, I am a Ducati guy, have been for years and I have a few nice older R models too. I raced Ducati for a while, then a series of Japanese bikes in different race series.

I brought the BMW to be a track ride day bike and my Dukes for the road. The BMW surprised me though at how good a road bike it is, so I used it more and more especially on long rides.

When the 1199 came out, being a Ducati tragic I just had to have it, and just haven't parted with the others. That's my story.

Only regret is I wish I had waited for the R version which was just announced.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #57 (permalink)

Cool...When I get the HP4 I was going to put it on a trailer and visit some friends in Sydney around March next year. You might wanna show me some lines around EC.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSyd View Post
Don't worry about Dyno curves etc, anyone who thinks an 1199 ( or any modern Superbike) is underpowered is simply playing with them selves.
Some of you know I've owned both 1199 and the S1000RR and i'm a very new rider. (3 track days under my belt so far)

Without getting too much into it, I have a problem with the above statement.
I'm beginning to learn how important throttle control is on a bike. Unlike with cars, throttle control is paramount to everything to do with riding. Can we all agree on this?

The 1199 has a crappy torque curve from 0-8000rpm. It's very inconsistent and unpredictable. Between 8000-11000 the power is very strong and predictable - agreed!

The problem is, that even in the track, I think you will find multiple corners where you may be forced to be in 2nd gear at 6000 rpm since 1st gear at 10000rpm would require you to short shift mid corner. So between 6-8k rpm you are F^$#%ED!!!! You can't count on predictable power output.

With my short time riding bikes I've ridden the following:
2004 CBR 600RR
2006 GSXR600
2009 R6
2011 Ninja zx-6r
2012 S1000RR
2012 1199 Panigale

All bikes except the 1199 had predictable linear progression of power from 1000rpm to redline. The 1199 below 8000rpm is just garbage! And yes - I had the full termi system with the termi map.

As far as passion and emotions of the Ducati I'd like to point out my personal opinion of "modern art".

Kids nowadays with ZERO talent who take paint and splash it against a wall and call it "modern art" are idiots. They lack talent and hide behind the term "modern art".

Same with Ducati. Passion and Emotion was not part of the design, but a side effect of bad design and bad engineering!!!!

When you own a Ferrari one day and it breaks down all the time you may rationalize to yourself that a "Ferrari has it's own personality and bad temper" and how it's like a human and it has emotions and some days it's happy, and some days it's not.

IT'S A F$*#@$ING MACHINE!!! machines are suppose to work the SAME every time with consistency and predictability. Anything else is not PASSION - just BAD ENGINEERING!
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #59 (permalink)

Default 1199 Vs. s1000rr

I will tell you that I love both bikes (I own a 1199 Panigale with full system, RapidBike RACE ECU, full Ducati Performance catalog installed and full Ohlins + alphaRacing s1000rr with full carbon body, HP Race ECU, full Akra, magnesium PVMs, full OHLINS TTX etc. etc.)

The 1199 is easier to flick in a corner but the s1000rr will try to tear your arms out in the straights and is very easy to be SMOOOOTTTHHHHH with your throttle control. I am 6'0" 195lbs. and my favorite bike is the BMW.

I will use the Panigale for the street, and the BMW is a track-only bike so I have no intention of putting it on the street. Anyway - I have had them both at the track (see my photo album).

George Villar

2013 BMW HP4 #555 (HP4 Superbuild)
2011 BMW S1000rr WSSK Racebike
2010 BMW S1000rr AMA Spec Racebike

http://www.alpha-bmw.com

https://www.facebook.com/alphabmw

https://www.facebook.com/george.villar
George Villar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #60 (permalink)

George what do you do? And are you hiring people selling any percentage of your business lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Motorcycle.com Free App
ghost24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement