HP4 vs Panigale S - Page 5 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW HP4 General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #41 (permalink)

I have to jump in here because something is not right.
I have both, and yes the S1000 is an awesome piece of gear for sure, but really my Panigale S is a step up in every regard. And the power is nothing short of spectacular, so I can't agree with these comments. And it has more soul and emotions that the BMW can ever hope to have.

Now, if I had to choose over the HP4 it would be the Panigale R I would be comparing it to. I love Ducati's R series, so I would choose that, but lets see, the HP just might take BMW into that illustrious territory, it sure looks like it, so a tough call.

Great choices.
BMWSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSyd View Post
... but really my Panigale S is a step up in every regard. And the power is nothing short of spectacular, so I can't agree with these comments. And it has more soul and emotions that the BMW can ever hope to have...
1) Independent, one on one Dyno testing puts rear wheel power of the Panigale lower that S1RR's.

2) Independent journalists also have stated that the power is virtually unusable on the road cos it hits too hard at higher revs and the front end still feels unstable.

3) The build quality of parts on the Panigale is questionable. The S1RR is better built without even trying. The HP4 is so much better than the Panigale's it's laughable

4) What the Fck is 'soul' and 'emotion'!! As I was once told, "it's a way of really saying OVER PRICED." Back when bikes were hand made and hand tuned there was an argument for this. Now, the vast majority of bikes are massed produced, including Ducati's.

I owned an 1198S and loved riding it cos it pulled excellent wheelies but the standard S1RR with TC, ABS, Quick Shifter etc is a way better bike.

Ducati's sound excellent and look sexy. Personally, I love the way the S1RR's and now the HP4 looks and can tell you that no version of Panigale will get close, 'Pound for Pound' to the HP4.

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-15-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: repaired qoute box
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules View Post
What the Fck is 'soul' and 'emotion'!! As I was once told, "it's a way of really saying OVER PRICED." Back when bikes were hand made and hand tuned there was an argument for this. Now, the vast majority of bikes are massed produced, including Ducati's.
No dude, his Ducati gives Hugs!
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #44 (permalink)

Hmmmm interesting response. Have you actually ridden a Panigale? If you had a 1098 and you like your S1000 then you will love the new Duke.

Don't worry about Dyno curves etc, anyone who thinks an 1199 ( or any modern Superbike) is underpowered is simply playing with them selves.

Again I have both, but you can't compare the feeling or sound or sheer involvement of the Duke, it is something special and thanks for Ducati for having the balls to put this on the road

It's all good, but my main point was that we should be comparing the HP4 with the a Panigale R, lets wait for that, it will be close and decided on your brand preference I would say.
BMWSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush66crp View Post
No dude, his Ducati gives Hugs!
:-) hehehehehehe
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSyd View Post
Hmmmm interesting response. Have you actually ridden a Panigale? If you had a 1098 and you like your S1000 then you will love the new Duke.

Don't worry about Dyno curves etc, anyone who thinks an 1199 ( or any modern Superbike) is underpowered is simply playing with them selves.

Again I have both, but you can't compare the feeling or sound or sheer involvement of the Duke, it is something special and thanks for Ducati for having the balls to put this on the road

It's all good, but my main point was that we should be comparing the HP4 with the a Panigale R, lets wait for that, it will be close and decided on your brand preference I would say.
Actual I've ridden an 1199 and Aprilia RSV4 and to be honest I'd prefer the Ape.

I've also had the pleasure of riding an HP4 and can tell you the 1199 is not close to this bike. The HP4looks amazing in real life and rides like a Triumph 675 but with a bucket load more power. (I also have owned a 675 as well)

Something you should consider...power at this level should be useable. In the case of the 1199 which come in after 8000rpm and feels very torque is not useable for 98% of riders. My 1198S was awesome to ride cos the power was useable from 2750rpm. Unfortunately it ran out higher in the revs so wasn't as quick to ride as the S1RR.

Last edited by wattsy_rules; 11-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #47 (permalink)

Garage

That is the only way Ducati can sell there bikes now. To talk about history and soul and passion and what ever other crap they can come up with.

The BMW was designed and built from the word GO to be the best and MILES ahead of any one else.

AND THEY PULLED IT OFF!!!!

I don't care what any Ducati fan says. Ducati bosses should be shot for the claims to 195 bhp when NO ONE could get more than 180 out of a stock 1199. Go and read the reviews. BMW claims 193 and most S1KRR deliver that. BMW sells on power and quality, not flare and passion and history and what ever ells Ducati dealers can think of to get your money. And don't even get me started on ALL the recalls the 1199 all ready had!!!

You want some one to look at your bike and go....oooo that's nice,,,but what a waste of money.....then buy the 1199.

You want some one to look at your bike and think......now that a serious rider....then buy the fastest/best super bike on the market.....THE BMW S1000RR.
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #48 (permalink)

I had an 1198S back when the beemer first came out. I loved that bike. Always had that special feeling being on something kind of unique. It had it's fair share of problems but I put up with them. I sunk a ton of money into that bike to make it liveable and it still had some issues. It was fun to own and work on though. Then I rode my friends s1000 and was like "holy ****" my bike sucks ass...lol.

I sold the ducati and got a 2010 beemer. Great bike, but it did lack a little of that yuppie factor and attention getting (shallow of me I know, but it's a nice feeling when everyone comments on how sexy your bike is).

Now I have an Hp4 on order. I test rode the panigale and it is leaps and bounds better than my old 1198. Still gorgeous, but a much better road bike as far as ducati standards. It too gives you that special feeling when you ride it. Still not the bike engine the s1000 is though. Honestly I have been going back and forth between the panigale and the hp4. I wanted to see what the "r" panigale had and looked like. Since I think it looks like **** (that gas tank is terrible) that took care of that. The tricolore is still beautiful. I have seen it in person. I have yet to see a hp4 in person. I am hoping it will fill two roles....the best bike out there and the bling bling exclusive factor you get with your ducati and mv bikes. I hope it is as beautiful in person as I think it will be. I hope the fairings (the non carbon ones) and all the other bits are going to be top notch since my 2010 s1000 could have used some attention to detail in these areas.

Anyway both bikes are cool. If you like twins go ducati. If you like inline 4 go beemer. I wish I could afford to have both!
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #49 (permalink)

BMWSyd...apologies to you for having a shot. It's not my attention to be rude, but rereading my post, clearly I was. Again, my apologies.

I did love the 1198S but if I'm honest, hated many of the Duc owners who 'informed' me that my oem Ohlins was **** and I needed to spend $5000 on top of the $35,000 I spent to buy it to make it handle.

I took my disliking of those people out on you and I was wrong to do so.

BTW, I have ridden the 1199 and wasn't overly impressed. I much preferred the 1198.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules View Post
BMWSyd...apologies to you for having a shot. It's not my attention to be rude, but rereading my post, clearly I was. Again, my apologies.

I did love the 1198S but if I'm honest, hated many of the Duc owners who 'informed' me that my oem Ohlins was **** and I needed to spend $5000 on top of the $35,000 I spent to buy it to make it handle.

I took my disliking of those people out on you and I was wrong to do so.

BTW, I have ridden the 1199 and wasn't overly impressed. I much preferred the 1198.
Yeah, I had the 1198s. Fueling was crap. Replaced the exhaust and ECU. Clutch pull was hard as hell....replaced the slave cylander. No slipper clutch....replaced that. Plastic gas tank that warped with ethanol...replaced that. Leaking radiator....replaced that. Leaking oil from every joint you can think of. Ate batteries even when on a tender.

Geez now that I look back it sounds awful. I really did like that bike though. Uncomforatable as hell as well....lol. I still miss it. It was like my little project bike. Still, a total rip off for what you get (or don't get). I would never have one as a sole ride though...too unpredictable.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement