BMW S1000RR Forum banner

K1600R ??

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sfoster 
#1 ·
A lot of noise is being made about the new K1600GT and GTL

I love the concept of a straight 6 in a bike, back to the days of the CBX1100 and the Z1300.

I would not want the GTL or even the GT, but if BMW is going to follow their current model line up, we can expect a S and an R. Now the R would be something worth looking at. A real mad max bike, especially with a proper pipe to hear that inline 6

Anyone know or heard rumors of a K1600R??

#4 · (Edited)
There are rumors of a lighter-weight/more-naked version of the new K1600, but nothing at all firm. Sales of R versions of bikes haven't been particularly good for the last few models, so I would doubt anything is in the pipe for the near future. OTOH, it would be rare for BMW to develop an engine for only a single model. So who knows?

BTW, I have a very nice 79 CBX and while it is a good bike and super cool, a six-cyl by itself doesn't guarantee more smoothness than a carefully setup four with balance shafts. The K1200LT was an extremely smooth bike so we're definitely getting into an area of marginal and diminishing returns. I think BMW could have met their design goals with a big four, but needed to match and surpass the class-leading Wing which has a six.

- Mark

#5 ·
If BMW is going to intro a R or S version of the 1600, they better get it in California before 2013 when that new law the Govenator recently signed in that heavily restricts the aftermarket pipe segment. All aftermarkets will have to be EPA approved and stamped, and some decibel restrictions to be used on the 2013's too. The fines may be small $75, but when you hit the local county courts in the state now a $100 fine is closer to $500 when they get done adding on county fees.

The Harley MoCo is sort of scared that it will kill future sales for the loud-pipe crowd who will only want used pre-2013 bikes and not buy the new ones.

Mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.