BMW S1000RR Forum banner

For the older guys with sportbike

8K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  Saltan 
#1 ·
Whats your age and till what age would you keep riding sportbikes ,
Ill be 43 in January and could not see my self riding anything else other than a sportbike I also like to stay active doing trackdays over (10) a year as well as some competitive motorcycle racing here in Texas with Cmra :D

#4 ·
I'm "only" 34 and I too want to ride sportbikes for as long as possible. I've been working out regularly though for the past 20 years. Been a strict vegetarian since 1995. So people often mistake me for being 8-10 years younger. But damn, I do notice how my body has changed. I need more warm up time in the gym before I lift anything heavy, and I need way more time to recover from injuries. Time stops for no one......so have fun while you can! :D

Oh, and to the youngins.....respect your elders, you too will be old one day;)

#38 ·
Who you tellin man... I noticed the increased time required for a good warm up before lifting hard. 33 years young here and finally feeling it. Damn.

#6 ·
Just turned 50; ride my BMW S1000RR to work every day, track it as often as I can (12+times a year) have put 44,000 plus miles on my 2011 in the last 24 months.

Been riding since I was 7 years old and still can't find anything else I love as much as Motorcycles. I will ride until I can't walk anymore. I know a local rider who rides a Yamaha R6 and still does trackdays and he's 81 years old!!!!! When I grow up, I want to be like him... :D

#11 ·
I was born in 1930. Do about 10 track days a year riding in the B group. Plan to be riding with the A group by the end of 2013. Do Sunday morning rides with a wonderful group of rapscallions who are quite quick but not at all crazy.

Obviously I don't consider age in impediment. I do some yoga every day, work out with a personal trainer in the gym once a week, eat a varied and balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables but I'm not a vegitarian

2013 HP4 std
2011 s1000rr (for sale)
2006 Yamaha R6
1998 Ducati 750ss
1987 Honda Hurricane and a bunch of others, all sport bikes except for an XT350

#15 ·
42, passed my test six months ago. Only had sport bikes since and will be staying with the S1000RR and it's derivatives as long as I can. Didn't plan on going that way so soon after passing my test but any time I ride a demo of a regular bike it feels less involving in terms of feedback and control.

#18 ·
Good for you most new riders go for the ninja 250 or sv650 but you went for the top dog,I suggest when you get use to riding your bike you do a few trackdays your riding skills will improve 80% and well as make you a safer rider you be able control panic situations and learn how not to target fixate wich is the cause of a lot of accidents involving fast sportbikes

#16 ·
41 next year and have been riding for 36 years. I tried getting off sportsbikes this year (Honda CB1000R) but it was a costly exercise that lasted 1900 km's. On a 2012 S1KRR and can't believe how lucky I am to able to experience such technology at an affordable price. A great point in time to be riding sportsbikes....

#17 ·
I'm going on 44 and the HP4 is the only bike in my garage aside from a non-running 80s scooter that I use to get a multiple bike discount on insurance and a 1980 XR100 pit bike. I raced heavily 10 years ago, but we started having kids. Now that they're more self-sufficient on some things I'm probably going to wind-up back on the track. So far I've only conceded a few things to help these "aging bones". I use a throttle rocker (now sold as a cramp buster) on longer rides, heated grips, and Heli-bars on my previous GSXR. With the HP4 so begins the next few years of dragstrip runs, trackdays, the Tx Mile, etc to learn what the bike has in it and inevitably how it responds to some mods.

A bit of trivia, Dave Beverly (RIP), the guy who was shot here in Houston at NASA was the person who talked me into racing around 1997. A good friend. He always had a sportbike in his garage along with a BMW for long rides and was also a Harley guy. He was 62 when this went down, but had a brand new 999 Ducati that had already seen a couple of track days. And we also endurance raced together for a couple of years. So in retrospect I say enjoy what you like to the end. Despite what others might say, it may not be "the bike" that gets us.

#19 ·
I'm 60. Been riding since I was 13. I have Multiple Sclerosis and have had 3 heart attacks and heart surgery (due to the MS medication I took for several years!). I'll ride sportbikes as long as I'm not a danger to myself or anyone else. I gave my brother orders.....when I become too FUBAR to ride, buy me a Goldwing, put me in the rear seat, strap on the drool cup, crank up the Alice In Chains, fire me up a doobie and hit the country roads!:D

#20 ·
lockem, I take my hat and helmet off you! Other than showing great taste when it comes to motorbike selection, you set the bar very high for all of us, being no stranger to the internet, forums, etc. How many +80 year old can say that...?! RESPECT!:D

I turn 50 next summer....

#25 ·
Just turned 52, rode mostly dirt when i was young and invulnerable, been back on 2 wheels for about 12 years now. Started back on hardleys and got bored to tears. Since then i've had Buells, honda cbr's, couple of ducatis, and now this monster s1000 thats better than all of them esp. on the track.

#28 ·
I am 44 next year and just got the HP4. Love it. Many of my younger riding buddies have moved onto to GS type bikes! Not me! So I found a new batch of younger riding buddies and lock and load!! I love bikes for the speed and acceleration!! That will never change!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
Im 50 years old and on my second S1000. Got a K1200S in 09 after my 2000 Busa and thought I was done with sportbikes. I was doing trackdays with the K12 and was doing good but felt I was running near the limit of that bike so I got the 2010 Mineral silver S1000 WOW what a defferance I was instantly faster and not as tired slinging that big long bike around. I did need the Helibars on the S1000 and that made it a lot better for me to ride. Now I have bought a 13 Red and White S1000 and so far I really love the updates they have done and that color wow (The Red Devil) is much flashier. 17,200 miles on the first S1000.

#31 ·
Well Lockem, I thought I might be the oldest, but turns out I'm just a "newbie".

I'm 71 and have been riding since I was 15. Mostly HD and three Kawi, the last being a 2007 ZX-14. I now have a 2012 Motorsport, and I love it. I put about 1500 miles on a demo with OEM bars and while not objectionable, I find the Helibars I put on mine to be more comfortable, as does everyone who has tried them.

No track days, but I' sort of the "lead" rat race guy in my local BMW Rider's club, of course, most of them have touring and dual purpose bikes so the competition is not entirely fair!

I plan to continue until I can't get on it, or I truly scare myself.

Curtis

#33 ·
57 years old. Don't give me that crap about "57 years young." Osteoarthritis tells me I ain't young.

OTOH, I recently sold a K1200GT since it was becoming a garage queen. Why ride a K1200GT when you got a S1000RR to hoon about on?

As often as I can I commute on the bike. DC Metro area, so there is a bit of traffic. But then, high speed and heavy traffic -- its better than caffeine!

#34 ·
All you guys are an inspiration to continue riding. I'm 45 and got back to riding six years ago. I do some track days and lots of travelling on my S1000RR. I'm doing this as long as my body holds up. Don't drink, No Cigarettes I work out every other day and can smoke all the younger guys in my group. Proud to be a sports biker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.