BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Hp4 power topped?

12K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  maddrama 
#1 ·
Is it possible to extract more power out of the hp4 through programming or removing restrictions?:confused:

#13 ·
The Akrapovic website shows the dyno between stock and the catted exhaust these are coming with as well. It shows 4hp up top with greater gains in the midrange. Coupled with what has already been mentioned, it should make more power. Maybe BMW is helping us from an insurance standpoint or just wants to be sneaky by underrating it.

#9 ·
Uh oh, there's worms all over the place. :eek:

btw H2 - I know of more than a few guys that have installed a full system and not bothered with any fuel management changes. The bikes run fine, maybe not as well as they could with a custom map on a PCV, but well enough for the owners to be satisfied. Our local dealer even endorses this activity.

#10 ·
I thought there was HP kits at three levels to bump up power. Not that I would need such a thing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Well said!

#18 ·
The engines are exactly the same between the std and hp4. With the addition of a better flowing exhaust on the hp4 it will show more hp on a Dyno over a std s1000 until you install a aftermarket exhaust on the std. model. You pay extra money for suspension , paint and wheels. Why do some people think it's a whole re designed model?..lol

#27 ·
What about this??

http://eurocyclesoftampabay.com/2013-bmw-s1000rr-hp4-first-ride/

In particular::

9. Stage 1, 2 and 3 race kits: So, you want to go racing? BMW offers three track-only levels of performance for the HP4 that are likely the best bang for your buck for aftermarket parts and support. All stages offer an increase in horsepower—201, 205 (AMA Pro SuperBike) and 212 (World Superbike)—along with the ability to fine-tune DDC, DTC, ABS, Launch Control and engine management corner-by-corner on the track. That should be enough to make your head spin! Good thing you also get access to BMW’s race-support staff to help with setup.

#28 ·
What about this??

2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 First Ride - Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay

In particular::

9. Stage 1, 2 and 3 race kits: So, you want to go racing? BMW offers three track-only levels of performance for the HP4 that are likely the best bang for your buck for aftermarket parts and support. All stages offer an increase in horsepower—201, 205 (AMA Pro SuperBike) and 212 (World Superbike)—along with the ability to fine-tune DDC, DTC, ABS, Launch Control and engine management corner-by-corner on the track. That should be enough to make your head spin! Good thing you also get access to BMW’s race-support staff to help with setup.

Who said the HP4 was just an fancy S1RR? :)

#30 · (Edited)
I wonder if guys trying to race these are gonna need the basic $2500 in suspension upgrades to run up front?

I'd imagine so.

So HP4 + suspension + 520 set up + bodywork and a few other odds and ends = $30k race bike. Win it or bin it! LOL

See you guys at Starbucks.. and on the message boards.

#36 ·
The abundance of moto press reviews by current and former pro racers doesn't do it for ya? ;)

The only negative comment I've read was Chris Ulrich's (Roadracing & Motorcycle Technology) comment about front rebound/damping tuning limitations which can be resolved with the " optional front fork potentiometer which plugs into the wiring harness allowing the circuits to be separated."
In spite of this issue, his conclusion: "....the best of the current crop of sportbikes on the market.

His review is the most neutral, balanced, least "gushy" review I've seen yet.

#37 ·
I'll be honest with you...I'm excited about reading ANY ride reviews from anyone whether they're Journalists, Racers or us...Owners who have bought one.

I love riding my 2011 S1RR because it is an awesome sportsbike, but I am like a little girl at Christmas when thinking about getting my HP4!

It just sucks that my bike isn't arriving in Australia until Dec 27th.

In the mean time ANYONE who gets theirs PLEASE post ride reviews so we can all share your experience. :D :D

#46 ·
Did notice as the dealer was still unwrapping mine that the exhaust does come with the insert installed. Here is a pic of what the insert looks like and it's held in place by one bolt as far as I can tell. Might be some "free" hp there, I don't know how they rated it. The muffler is definitely a straight-through design.

Attachments

#47 ·
nothing different between that and the Akrapovic full system exhausts that have been available since the bike was released. removing the db killer won't do much for power at all. the main power restriction on the HP4 is in the midpipe. you'll have to replace that with the basic unrestricted midpipe in the regular Akra full systems, and there's surely 5-10 more horsepower to be had with a PCV...the HP4's peak power is rated the same as stock, although I'll bet it dynos out a little higher.

#49 · (Edited)
There is a race kit available, not sure if the stage 1,2,or3 goes into the cases of the motor. I'm sure with the stages your warranty is definitely curtains.... I am getting my racekit installed on weds. then I will dyno it shortly after. They said they will remove the break in code with the new controll unit. Spring I will be getting the calibration unit and code.

#50 ·
There is a race kit available, not sure if the stage 1,2,or3 goes into the cases of the motor. I'm sure with the stages your warranty is definitely curtains.... I am getting my racekit installed on weds. then I will dyno it shortly after. They said they will remove the break in code with the new controll unit. Spring I will be getting the calibration unit and code.
I am surprised you didn't get the additional fork travel sensor. That's probably one of the first things that I would consider upgrading, the DDC.

#51 ·
I honestly want to set the sag and how it works stock.... I have a while before I can ride... So I have some time... I'm sure over the years the DDC will be amazing, first round might have some bumps...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.