BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Stock Steering-Damper on 2012 USELESS, even with 10 clicks upgrade

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  1000RR 
#1 ·
I swapped over to an Ohlins, and it's way better. Even with the upgraded 10-click option on the 2012 model, the stock damper is still not good enough.

Ohlins Steering Damper BMW S1000RR 2012 NEW! SD038 | eBay

I purchased my Ohlins via the above link. I am very satisfied, you can definately notice the difference, i am running on 11/20 clicks.

They are legit, shipped it right away, and are not counterfeit.

I will use the spare one on one of my older bikes.

#2 ·
My problem with the original SD wasn't that it could dampen steering enough, the opposite, actually. The lame thing about that OEM piece of .... is that when i found a good high speed setting, it would dampen the steering at low speed like mad. Which meant you had to adjust it when you headed into the city, and since the position of the thing makes that impossible, ohlins was the way to go.

Very satisfied about that piece of tech tho. Only kicks in when needed, and well, it's ohlins. :p

#3 ·
I guess I don't see the issues that others do with the steering damper...I consider myself pretty fast (former AMA experts license way way back in the 70's when I was a puppy) but have found the damping to be more than adequate...I mean a bit of a baby wobble here or there on a high speed turn doesn't bother me as long as it isn't dangerous or hindering the speed...maybe it's just me....I am tempted to get an ohlins just to see the difference though. Fyi, my damper and suspension is on the stock setting and I weigh 140 lbs.

#17 ·
usrodeo...you rode in the AMA when 'men were men, and sheep were nervous' :D

I must confess that I'm a bit old school like you, although my racing was in motocross and clearly never at your level. I saw a thing on TV the other night where Troy Corsa said the HP4 would have won WSBK races 5 years ago. Based on that, the 2012 stock S1RR probably would have won 8-10 years ago. Seems like a long time ago but think about how much the WSBK teams were spending on their bikes at that time.

I'm a fat old bast*rd (210lbs) but the stock damper seems fine to me. :)

#4 · (Edited)
I purchased my Ohlins via the above link. I am very satisfied, you can definately notice the difference, i am running on 11/20 clicks.
That's a bit tight to be running a steering damper!! Typically you should be around 1/4 of the total capacity and maybe a hair less (base starting place). If you are getting that much head shake at high speed, you might try loosening your grip and if that doesn't help, you may have a geometry and/or suspension issue going on.

The issue when you tighten it up so much is that if you now get a bad headshake, the 'shake' will be transferred back into the frame now... and you wanna eat shitt quick... that's a good way to do it!

#10 ·
Im thinking of getting a GPR, what number is yours currently on?

I have tried loosing grip at high speeds, but it still feels like the front wheel/steering gets very "light" like the damper never kicks in. Its adjusted to the highest setting, I can only feel the damper working at low speeds. I can't be the only one that has felt this with the factory damper.

#6 ·
As others have said, if you have not set your suspension to your weight and riding style, the damper is just masking the real problem.

I have the stock damper and have never had a wobble, even on the track at speed.

E

#7 ·
as soon as I find a problem with the stock damper, I'll replace it in a second. but I haven't had any issues with either the fixed '10 damper or the adjustable '12, which I have set at maximum. The only time I feel how stiff it is, is when I'm parking my bike.

Bike setup is indeed important; I've bought two Ducatis that didn't come with dampers. Never had head shake on either, but it's a completely different feeling at speed, and I don't particularly like it. Slapped some dampers on them and all is better!

#15 ·
As usrodeo mentioned as well, Im in the same boat I think the stock 2012 unit is pretty good for daily use even hard twisty riding. For a track bike I would get one like 1000rr and triple. Doesn Scotts even make them any more or is the GPR pretty much the same thing? Im probably going to pick one up after the bike gets some boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.