BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Had a small accident today

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  doubletap 
#1 ·
I knew that riding on a daily basis could be treacherous but man. I was just leaving work and getting ready to take a left turn onto the highway when I hit a spot of fluid left behind from some vehicle. I did not notice it with the sun in my eyes but could clearly see it once I was on the side of the road off my motorcycle.

I slid across two lanes of traffic before I came to a stop and luckily no one ran over me since it was rush hour. I had all of my armor on but still ended up a little bloodied. Amazing how soft we are as humans! The motorcycle is a little messed up right now. I was never so glad in my life that I purchased all of those frame protectors for the bike.

Even still the factory brake and clutch lever are bent. The tail section on the back left side is definitely scuffed and slightly damaged. When I picked up the motorcycle and tried to start it, it did not start. On the second try it fired up and spit out a ton of white smoke. The motorcycle cop (who was also riding a BMW) on the scene told me it was probably flooded and that it was not uncommon to have a little white smoke come out of the exhuast. We let it run for a while and the smoke went away. The motorcycle smells like burnt oil.

I'm not sure if I should be worried at this point about the motorcycle. Everything seems to be running fine considering. It was quite a scene at the intersection with the police, fire and ambulance crews all there. I felt like an idiot even though I know I did everything right. I was more concerned about the motorcycle than myself. It was just one of those things. Glad to still be here...

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, glad you made it safely. The motorcycle can be fixed, don't worry about it too much. I would get some rest and make sure that YOU are good to go. Sometimes adrenaline can hide injuries or whatnot. Anyways chicks dig scars!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#4 ·
glad that you are ok. same happened to me last month on an intersection only difference is that no one stop to help me, i got the wind knocked out of me and i was gasping for air(scared) lol . I ran over some cooling on the asphalt. my bike started right up. but on the next day it was acting up with RPM's bouncing up and down, i took it to BMW and the Diagnose was the computer(ECM) trying to get back to normal. heal up bro so you can get back to riding. Be safe.

#7 ·
Glad u r ok

#8 ·
yea the white smoke will be normal. Its just the oil burning off. My buddy ended up wrecking his cbr1000rr on a ride a while back and it was upside down in the trees. When we trucked it back to my house and started tearing it down there was even motor oil in the air box. It may take a while to burn off but its normal.

#15 ·
What all is damaged on the bike? Did you check the side cases of the motor? Fairings scraped up pretty bad? You could have oil seeping out and burning off on the side/bottom of the motor.

#16 ·
elguyos1krr, sucks that no one stopped to help you! Even worse to have the wind knocked out of you.

Evolx, I would love to start wrenching myself. Never done it but would love to learn. I guess no time like the present.

Arrie, I had the drop sensor installed as part of a recall about a year or so ago. By the time I stopped sliding across the ground, the motorcycle had turned itself off and the hazard lights started to blink. Pretty awesome actually. I did not actually remember all of this until much later. It all seems like a blur, bits and pieces of my memory. There was SO much traffic going around me, I was just trying to get out of the way.

jonwil, pimpedc6, I checked and scrutinized the motorcycle today. Luckily the mechanic at the BMW dealership had marked several of the bolt points across the motorcycle with some paint. So, I could see exactly what had shifted or moved. I had to tighten and loosen several bolts to get everything aligned again to match the marks. No leaks thus far that I can see. The oil level looks correct but seems slightly dark or dirty to me through the small round window.

I'm feeling much better today albeit a little sore. Rode the motorcycle into work this morning and into the rain this evening. Had to use some tools including a big hammer to try and straighten out several pieces. The fairing on the back had split apart but luckily, I was able to snap it back together. The engine case cover took some damage but can be replaced. Again, thanks everyone of the comments!

#17 ·
elguyos1krr, sucks that no one stopped to help you! Even worse to have the wind knocked out of you.

Evolx, I would love to start wrenching myself. Never done it but would love to learn. I guess no time like the present.

Arrie, I had the drop sensor installed as part of a recall about a year or so ago. By the time I stopped sliding across the ground, the motorcycle had turned itself off and the hazard lights started to blink. Pretty awesome actually. I did not actually remember all of this until much later. It all seems like a blur, bits and pieces of my memory. There was SO much traffic going around me, I was just trying to get out of the way.

jonwil, pimpedc6, I checked and scrutinized the motorcycle today. Luckily the mechanic at the BMW dealership had marked several of the bolt points across the motorcycle with some paint. So, I could see exactly what had shifted or moved. I had to tighten and loosen several bolts to get everything aligned again to match the marks. No leaks thus far that I can see. The oil level looks correct but seems slightly dark or dirty to me through the small round window.

Gla to hear everything worked out. These marked bolts you are talking about.... I've seen that before on my previous bike. Tell me what would you have done if the bolts were not marked. Which bolts did you have to re-align?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#18 · (Edited)
Your experience with a slick spot on the road should make us all be hyper-vigilant about things like this. I know I'll (try to) be more so. We're all glad you are OK. I hope to never go through something like that....and hope your bike will be OK, too!

But these things are sometimes hard to pick up. Even a simple thing like gassing up your bike can lead you into trouble. A week or so ago, I gassed up while on a long ride, and when I left the station it felt like my boots were slipping on the pegs. WTF? I pulled over and checked, and - sure enough - they were slick with some oily sh*t. I then thought: My tires! Well, they didn't pick up what it was, but I must have stood in some oil or something at the gas station. But it COULD have been on my tires, had I parked a little to one side or the other at the pump. Might have dumped the bike on exiting the station, and ruined a perfectly good day. Have to remind myself to look at the ground near any gas pump...you never know.

#20 ·
I felt like an idiot even though I know I did everything right.
I normally consider my rides where I did everything right the ones that end up without the bike falling over. Just saying ;)

On a side note, a couple questions. I'm guessing you low-sided. Was traction control on, and if so, in what mode? I know TC won't prevent this from happening in every scenario, but it can help tremendously if acceleration is the cause of the rear tire losing traction (Which I'm guessing it wasn't in this scenario).

Glad you're alright and to hear how relatively well the bike fared.

#21 ·
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad you're okay. The bike seems the have relatively minor damage. Good thing you had frame sliders installed; don't need to tell you what OEM replacement plastics would cost.

On a related note, I count my blessings every time I arrive at my destination safely. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.