BMW S1000RR Forum banner

LOOOOOONG term storage

4K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  tanks95 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the military and have gotten screwed by volunteering for a 1 year duty that is going to turn into 3 years or so in the middle east. Im going to put the bike into storage instead of selling it, and don't talk me out of it I've made up my mind and wont have to make payments anyways while in a combat zone (soldiers&sailors relief act). What do i need to do as far as maintenance and stuff? I don't have a family or anybody else to help me out on this.

#3 ·
First off, thank you for your service.

The concern I have first off is the quality of the fuel after 3 years even with Fuel stabilizer in it but regardless you will need to treat the fuel for storage. Hopefully there is power and you have the battery hooked up to a charger/maintainer. in 3 years the tires will be dried out enough I would not trust to ride on them but you may want to get some nice pitbull stands front and rear to keep the bike off the tires. Also fog the motor so it is protected (very important). Will smoke some when you restart but at least the cylinders have some level of protection while you are away from rusting and seizing. Clean and lube the chain well. rub some oil on the forks to make sure they have a slightly greasy feel to keep any moisture from getting on the forks. Put a coat of wax on the bike and make sure overall it is clean and buy a nice cover for the bike.

Good luck and I hope I didn't forget anything.

#5 ·
Front and Rear stands
Rear Bobbins
FULL tank of fuel
Fuel stabilizer (I like stabil marine formula)
Battery Tender
Tarp

Add the fuel stabilizer and run it through the motor. I'd ask someone to go and start the bike every four to six months. Also have them add more stabilizer once or twice a year. Make sure the fuel tank stays topped off, it will prevent the inside of the tank from rusting. If they can change the oil once a year that would be ideal too, just incase moisture gets in the crankcase. And finally, stuff a towel in the exhaust and tape up the intake. Keeps bugs and rodents out.

#8 · (Edited)
I am doing the same next year(AD) and we might see each other up there, From previous ones I have set my bike on front and rear stands, fuel stabilizer,cover the air box and exhaust. as for the battery you can hook it up to a tender or unhook your ground off and you should be good to go. About no having no one to care for your bike no worries, are you an MT? I used be stationed in Port Hueneme,Ca SEABEES let me know and I can make some phone calls with some of my brothers from down south that might give be able to give you a roof for your bike. Just make sure you leave your bike insured with comprehensive thats all you need. don"t forget that we also get the Interest rates to drop a bit while in combat zone. Take care.

#9 · (Edited)
If you are AD, you can forget about shamming on that loan. Unless you incurred the debt before you came on AD which mainly applies to guard and reserve folks, then you can not avoid it by claiming the SSRA. USAA or somebody might do you a favor by reducing your CC rate to 6 percent or something, but its not mandatory. You are mainly just protected from them repossessing it if you don't pay the payments or something while you are gone. I got lucky one time and got a certain bank to reduce my rate to 6 percent, and they back dated it to my loan origination date and ended up cutting me a check :D, but the payments were still due.

To answer your question though, I have had several vehicles/bikes/furniture stored for loooong periods of time on several occasions and have come back to find everything from exploded batteries to rusted chains. Following the advice already posted should help you out, but 3 years is an extremely long time to leave any type of motor vehicle just sitting. If you opt for government storage, a lot of times they have people to start it up and the like and that may be your best option. If you choose to be reimbursed for storage and procure your own, then it may be better to just sell it. Good luck

*edit* And if you sell it, you can come back and buy a brand new second generation S1KRR :cool:

#10 ·
You will still have to pay the loan. The relief act will only lower your interest rates to a maximum of 6% on debt incurred before entering the military. If you got the debt while in the military the relief act does nothing for you.

I know you said you don't want to but sell it. It will take a lot of work to get it back up and running again. Also do some research on the relief act before you get yourself into a bad situation.

http://www.defense.gov/specials/Relief_Act_Revision/

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
opsec homie... and I'm certain you don't wanna hear it but 3 years is gonna be too long for the girl unless you've got a friend to take care of her... and even then.

Sell her and take the money you would put into payments and toss it into a separate high interest "only while deployed" account as an allotment off your LES so when you get back you can pay cash for the newest model available (and probably pick up a few goodies for her too). Otherwise you're gonna come out of this way behind with a bike that wasn't taken proper care of. You either pay them interest for a bike that is depreciating in years and quality or get paid interest waiting for your brand new one... seriously think about it.

#13 · (Edited)
you should see if the dealer\bike shop you bought it from will store it at the store in the window or something; i'm also overseas and travel a lot; when i go on travel the bike goes in the shop and i pay them a monthly fee.

if you must store it: overfill the gas all the way to the top with the highest octane you can get (this will help keep water out and help to prevent rust from building up, over fill the oil all the way to the fill cap, that'll keep your head-gasket oiled, internals and all the hoses from dry rotting, hopefully the storage area is temp controlled, drain your coolant and fill with only antifreeze (no water), also put a rag\ towel in the intake that will help stop moisture from getting in there, put the bike up on stands make sure it is secure

when you get back drain all fluids and change prior to starting (first tank of gas should also be the highest octane you can get), check your brake pads, check your tires for cracks, check all of your hoses, change all fluids again after first week\first tank of gas.

when you come back you will have to replace some of the parts mainly hoses, tires, rubber seals if not temp controlled and a new
battery but if you follow the above it should be fine.

if you have family somewhere in the U.S. it might be a better idea to ship the bike to them (shipmybike.com) good guys reasonable prices.

Q's option is also very good if you can find a buyer that won't low ball you. interest rates right now are so low that even if you got 14 grand you might see 14500 in 3 years but things could get better. Unless he was talking about the stockmarket which could go either way really good or really bad....

Missed the part about bahrain you know you can bring it to bahrain and have the gov ship it for you. if not you can use shipmybike.com and they will ship it for about 1800.00 that would solve the whole issue. I was in Bahrain in May wasn't that bad rioters won't bother you they are mad at their gov not you. look up s1000rr bahrain he can help as well.

#15 · (Edited)
Yea it is... your deployment cycle and locations are not.

I'm not pushing anything on you this is a volunteer service you signed up for if you'll remember and that was a volunteer 365 you signed up for I assume to try and secure a base of preference for your follow on. Cryin

#18 ·
Leave it with a trusted friend and have them ride it a few times a year. Check the oil grease the chain etc.

Or top up the oil though i wouldn't recommend to the top if the filler though. Remove the battery, tape up the air intake, fill the tank but drain it and refill with clean fuel when you get back. Cover it in acf50 to protect against corrosion and you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#19 ·
If you can't bring it with you I would try to sell it. Or leave it with a trusted friend to take care of it for THREE YEARS. I think 3 years is just to long for a vehicle to go untouched.

Depending on your pay grade and current bills you're going to make much bank in SW Asia. 3 years tax free monies...BOOM! Buy the newer model when you get back or maybe there will be something else out there you'll want instead.

#21 ·
If you're going to store it.

Go ride it for a while and get it good and hot.
Fill the tank with gas and add Stabalizer
Put it on stands
Change the oil and filter
Flush the brake system
Lube the Chain
Service the tires
Wax it
Remove the battery
Cover it

When you get home

Un-cover it
Clean it
Drain the fuel and replace it.
Change the oil and filter (Again)
Flush the brake system (Again)
Flush the cooling system
Install a new battery
Check the tires closely
Go ride it.

Don't have it started occasionally, It will lead to moisture in the oil due to condensation and can cause rust and corrosion on internal parts, especially cams.

#22 ·
Its going to be crated up!

I talked to personal property, the storage company said they are going to crate it up and will not allow any gas in the tank. I was told by my dad, change it with fresh oil and filter, run fuel treatment in it until it dies, deflate the tires partially, and remove the battery. Im not sure about the wax as it will be enclosed and its socal weather. It will be in storage for a year it seems. Does this sound good?

#24 ·
run a strong dose of stabil marine (for ethanol) before you drain the tank . you won't be able to get all the gas out.

yes, remove the battery and change oil/filter. put a good coat of chain wax/lube/oil on the chain.

forget the tires. you'll end up replacing them after 3 years.

it will cost you less in the long run if you sell it.

#29 · (Edited)
BallisticMT, two comments. First, you are making a mistake. I was stubborn just like you, but you need to sell the bike. I can almost guarantee you will lose interest while away and want the new 2015 S1000rr.

Why do I know this? That leads me to my second point, you sound like a new young guy, by your naive comments about OPSEC. (When you get back your point of view will have changed). But that's not my second point. My point is, I've been doing this for 23 years, I KNOW about leaving toys at home, and I know about losing interest. Sell it now, while you are here.

DO NOT let ANY bank smile in your face and tell you, that you don't have to pay for the bike while in storage. Think about that for one minute. ........you will have a four year old bike, that over 50% upside down, and the bank will make almost double the money in payments.

But, like I said, I was like you, stubborn. But just like the guy above was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT about your complete lack of security awareness. They are also correct about selling the bike.

Lastly, just between us. WE all know your location is NOT a 3 year PCS move or deployment, you are leaving something out or you are, lets say not telling the truth. The civilians here may fall for that, but not us, that would have flown if there were only civilians here. nice try, but that's between us.

Take care and be safe, whatever you are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.